Avi A. Sutton
Avi A. Sutton joined Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz’s Corporate Department as an associate in 2013. His practice focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, capital markets transactions, takeover defense and other corporate and securities matters. Mr. Sutton has advised both public and private companies in a wide range of industries in connection with domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spinoffs, initial public offerings and other securities offerings.
Mr. Sutton received a B.A. summa cum laude in Ethics, Politics & Economics from Yale University in 2010, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He completed his J.D. at Yale Law School in 2013, where he served as Managing Editor of the Yale Journal on Regulation and Co-President of the Yale Jewish Law Students Association. Mr. Sutton was also a summer law clerk to the Honorable Eliezer Rivlin, Deputy Chief Justice of the Israeli Supreme Court.
Selected representations include:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Allergan in its $83 billion acquisition by AbbVie
- Chubb in its $29.7 billion acquisition by ACE Limited
- Michael Dell in the $24.5 billion acquisition of Dell together with Silver Lake
- Visa Inc. in its €21.2 billion acquisition of Visa Europe Limited
- Thermo Fisher Scientific in its
- $12.5 billion pending acquisition of QIAGEN N.V.
- $7.2 billion acquisition of Patheon N.V.
- $4.2 billion acquisition of FEI Company
- $1.5 billion acquisition of Affymetrix
- Lincoln National in its $3.3 billion acquisition of Liberty Life Assurance Company of Boston and its $410 million reinsurance transaction of Liberty Mutual’s Individual Life and Annuity Business to Protective Life
- ANN INC., the parent company of Ann Taylor, in its $2.2 billion sale to ascena retail group
- Colgate-Palmolive Company in its
- $1.7 billion acquisition of Laboratoires Filorga Cosmétiques
- acquisition of Hello Products LLC
- Cardinal Health in its joint venture transaction with CVS Caremark
- Osprey Energy Acquisition in its $800 million acquisition of the assets of Royal Resources
- First Quality Enterprises in its sale of its nonwovens operations in the United States and China to R2G Rohan Czech
- Bausch Health in its acquisition of the assets of Synergy Pharmaceuticals in a Section 363 bankruptcy sale
- Alico in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Orange-Co’s citrus business and its acquisition of Silver Nip Citrus
- Triumph Bancorp in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of First Bancorp of Durango, its acquisition of Doral Money, its acquisition of branch locations from Independent Bank, its acquisition of ColoEast Bankshares, its acquisition of Valley Bancorp, its acquisition of Southern Colorado Corp., its acquisition of the transportation factoring assets of Interstate Capital, and its sale of Triumph Capital Advisors to Pine Brook and in the related purchase of certain CLO securities from Trinitas Capital Management
- First Southern Bancorp in its sale to CenterState Banks
- SP Bancorp in its sale to Green Bancorp
Spin-Offs and Securities Offerings
- Bausch Health in its announced spin-off of its eye health business
- Alcoa in its separation into two public companies, Arconic Inc. and Alcoa Corporation
- SelectQuote in its initial public offering
- The Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son in its initial public offering
- Triumph Bancorp in its initial public offering and numerous capital raising transactions
- Lincoln National in numerous capital raising transactions, including its $1.1 billion senior notes offering, its $400 million senior notes offering, and in its $350 million debt tender offer
- DICK’S Sporting Goods in its $575 million convertible senior notes offering with related call spreads
- Warburg Pincus in its sale of National Penn common stock in an underwritten public offering and in National Penn Bancshare’s repurchase of common stock held by Warburg affiliates
Mr. Sutton is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey.