Andrew J. Nussbaum
Honorable Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court of the United States, 1992 – 1993
Honorable Ruth Bader Ginsburg, United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1991 – 1992
Andrew J. Nussbaum
Andrew J. Nussbaum is a member of the Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz Corporate Department, joining the firm in 1993 and becoming partner in 1999. His practice involves a wide range of merger and acquisition-related matters, including cross-border transactions, spin-offs, divestitures, carve-out IPOs, private equity transactions and joint ventures. Mr. Nussbaum also handles related work in public offerings, financings, corporate governance and takeovers, and has completed a number of multibillion dollar cross-border transactions involving mergers between U.S. and European companies, acquisitions in Latin America, investments in China, a public company transaction in Russia and a major transaction involving one of Australia’s largest listed companies. While involved with a wide range of industries, he has extensive experience with international companies in media and entertainment, cross-border matters and private equity transactions.
Mr. Nussbaum graduated summa cum laude from Amherst College (1985) and has a master’s degree from Oxford University, where he was a Rhodes Scholar. He attended the University of Chicago Law School, where he received his J.D. with high honors (1991), was a member of Order of the Coif and served as editor-in-chief of The University of Chicago Law Review. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Nussbaum served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ruth Bader Ginsburg, then of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, and thereafter to Justice Antonin Scalia, United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Nussbaum speaks Russian and Spanish, and he is a member of the New York State and American Bar Associations. Mr. Nussbaum is active in various nonprofit organizations and serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Amherst College, Member (previously Chairman) of the Board of Directors of Asphalt Green, a New York City sports and fitness organization promoting wellness, water safety and health for New Yorkers of all ages, and previously on the Board of Governors of the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C.
- Cross Border M&A - 2019 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 30, 2019.
- 2018 Private Equity Year In Review,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 17, 2019.
- Mergers and Acquisitions -- 2018 - With a Brief Look Back,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 29, 2018.
- Cross-Border M&A -- 2018 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 10, 2018.
- Delaware Court of Chancery Extends Business Judgment Protection to Control Shareholders Selling to a Third Party,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, August 22, 2017.
- Mergers and Acquisitions - A Brief Look Back and a View Forward,
in Bank and Corporate Governance Reporter, Volume 57 Number 6, February 2017.
- Editor and author of US chapter,
in Mergers and Acquisitions: International Series, 2nd ed. (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
- Delaware Court Decisions on Appraisal Rights Highlight Need for Reform,
in The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 21, 2015.
- Proxy Access Proposals for the 2015 Proxy Season,
in The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, November 7, 2014.
- European Commission Holds Private Equity Owner Liable for Portfolio Company's Cartel Fine,
in ABA’s “Hot Topics” in International Antitrust Law, April 29, 2014.
- 2013 Private Equity Year in Review,
in The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 6, 2014.
- US Boards: Key Challenges and Responsibilities,
in National Corporate Governance Report, Issue V (2012).
- Editor and author of US chapter in Mergers and Acquisitions: Jurisdictional Comparisons,
(Sweet & Maxwell, 2012).
- Buyout and Deal Protections Enjoined due to Conflicted Advisor,
in The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, February 16, 2011.
- SEC's Amendment of Reg FD to Remove Exemption for Rating Agencies Less Than It Seems,
in Bank and Corporate Governance Law Reporter Volume 45 Number 4, December 2010.