Eric M. Rosof
Honorable Robert W. Sweet, United States District Court, Southern District of New York, 1997 – 1998
Eric M. Rosof
Eric M. Rosof is of Counsel at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz in the acquisition finance practice. Mr. Rosof advises on financing for corporate transactions of all types, including domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, spinoffs, joint ventures, restructurings, refinancings and recapitalizations. Recent financing transactions have included investment grade and high yield bank facilities, bond and hybrid offerings, bridge facilities, tender offers, exchange offers and consent solicitations. Mr. Rosof also represents buyers, sellers, investors, creditors and debtors in distressed acquisitions, divestitures and restructurings. Mr. Rosof writes and speaks frequently on acquisition financing and restructuring topics and is an adjunct law professor at Columbia Law School in the field of acquisition finance.
Recent transactions include representing:
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals in its $7.2 billion acquisition of GW Pharmaceuticals
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals in its $39 billion sale to AstraZeneca
- Marathon Petroleum in its $21 billion sale of its Speedway business to 7-Eleven
- S&P Global in its pending $44 billion merger with IHS Markit
- Acima Holdings in its $1.65 sale to Rent-A-Center
- NMI Holdings in its $400 million senior secured notes offering
- Insulet in its $700 million convertible senior notes offering
- Televisa in its continuing as an equity holder of Univision in Searchlight/ForgeLight’s acquisition of a majority of Univision
- Telesat Canada in its $4.4 billion Up-C transaction with its shareholders, Loral Space & Communications Inc. and PSP Investments, and several bank and bond offerings
- United Technologies in its merger of equals of its Aerospace businesses with Raytheon Company, and its separation into three independent public companies
- Anadarko in its $55 billion sale to Occidental Petroleum
- Verizon in its $130 billion acquisition of Vodafone’s 45% interest in Verizon Wireless
- Monsanto in its $63 billion sale to Bayer
- Deutsche Telekom/T-Mobile in its $59 billion acquisition of Sprint
- Analog Devices in its $14.8 billion acquisition of Linear Technology
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals in its $8.4 billion acquisition of Synageva
- Abbott Laboratories in its $25 billion acquisition of St. Jude Medical
- United Technologies in its $30 billion acquisition of Rockwell Collins
- STERIS in its $1.9 billion acquisition of Synergy Health
- CenturyLink in its $24 billion acquisition of Level 3
- Dollar Tree in its $8.5 billion acquisition of Family Dollar
- Walgreens in its $27 billion two-staged acquisition of Alliance Boots GmbH
- Analog Devices in its $21 billion acquisition of Maxim Integrated Products
- Entegris in its merger of equals with Versum Materials with a combined enterprise value of $9 billion (since terminated)
- GTECH in its acquisition of International Game Technology
- The Home Depot in its $8.5 billion sale of its HD Supply to The Carlyle Group, Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and Bain Capital Partners
- Apollo Global Management in its $2.25 billion acquisition of Berry Plastics, its $1.15 billion acquisition of Noranda Aluminum, its $27.8 billion acquisition of Harrah’s Entertainment, its $3.8 billion acquisition of the Advanced Materials business of General Electric Company, its $1.9 billion acquisition of TNT Logistics, its $975 million acquisition of Tyco International’s Plastics business, its $700 million acquisition of Metals USA, and $5 billion acquisition of Intelsat
- Intelsat in its $6.4 billion acquisition of PanAmSat
- Alibaba Group in its $7.8 billion repurchase of stock from Yahoo!
- Valspar in its $11.3 billion acquisition by Sherwin-Williams
- Spectra Energy Corp in is $28 billion merger with Enbridge Inc.
- El Paso in its $38 billion sale to Kinder Morgan
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise in its Reverse Morris Trust transaction combining its Software Business with Micro Focus International
- Abbott Laboratories in its $54 billion spinoff of Abbvie, and AbbVie Inc. in its related $14.7 billion private offering of senior notes
Mr. Rosof received his B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania and his B.S.E. from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1982 and his J.D. from Columbia Law School in 1997, where he was a senior editor and special issue chair of the Columbia Law Review. Following law school, Mr. Rosof served as law clerk to the Honorable Robert W. Sweet of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. Mr. Rosof is admitted to practice in New York.
Mr. Rosof has been recognized by Lawdragon as one of the 500 leading lawyers in America and by Mergerlinks as one of the top financing lawyers in North America. He has been a member of the Board of Directors of Her Justice, an organization that provides free legal services to low-income women, and is an officer of the International Bar Association’s Banking Law Committee, where he is chair of the subcommittee on alternative finance.
- Cross-Border M&A – 2022 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 22, 2022.
- Financing Year in Review: A Robust Recovery,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, January 13, 2022.
- Financing Year in Review: From Crisis to Comeback,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, January 19, 2021.
- Acquisition Financing Year in Review: The Decade of Debt,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 17, 2020.
- Cross Border M&A - 2019 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 30, 2019.
- Acquisition Financing Year in Review - From Break-Neck to Brakes-On,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 14, 2019.
- Acquisition Financing: A Banner Year Behind, and New Opportunities in the Year Ahead,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 17, 2018.
- Cross-Border M&A -- 2018 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 10, 2018.
- Corporate Bankruptcy and Restructuring 2016/2017,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Financial Markets, January 20, 2017.
- Acquisition Financing: the Year Behind and the Year Ahead,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 18, 2017.
- Dealmaking in a Distressed Environment,
in The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, April 17, 2013.
- Leveraged Acquisitions: A New Post-Credit Crisis Structure,
in Deal Lawyers, July/August 2010.