Igor Kirman is a partner in the Corporate Department at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, where he focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, activism and takeover defense, corporate governance and general corporate matters. He has advised public and private companies, as well as private equity funds, in connection with mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, joint ventures, cross-border deals, shareholder activism, takeover defenses and corporate governance matters.
Mr. Kirman is a frequent speaker at professional conferences, and has written articles in numerous professional publications on topics relating to mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. He has been frequently recognized for achievement by professional organizations such as Chambers and Partners, Lawdragon, New York Superlawyers, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers in America. He was twice named as Dealmaker of the Year by American Lawyer (2006 and 2015).
Mr. Kirman is the author of a book, “M&A and Private Equity Confidentiality Agreements” (Thomson Reuters). He is the chair of the Practising Law Institute’s annual “Doing Deals” program in New York and teaches a course on M&A as an adjunct at Columbia Law School. He also serves on the Advisory Board of the Practical Law Company and on the Mergers & Acquisitions Advisory Board of Strafford Publications.
Mr. Kirman received a B.A. in Ethics, Politics and Economics magna cum laude from Yale University in 1993. He completed his J.D. at Columbia Law School in 1996, where he was notes editor of the Columbia Law Review. He is involved in a number of civic institutions, including as a member of the Advisory Board of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and Columbia’s Mailman School of Public Health, a Trustee of the Trinity School, and a director of Renew Democracy Initiatives (RDI). He was born in Ukraine and speaks Russian.
- Lessons from TEGNA’s Second Straight Proxy Fight Win,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, May 13, 2021.
- Private Equity – Year in Review and 2021 Outlook,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, February 6, 2021.
- Contested Virtual Shareholder Meetings: A New Frontier,
in The M&A Lawyer, Volume 25 Issue 2, February 2021.
- The Next Frontier for Representations and Warranties Insurance: Public M&A Deals?,
in M&A Lawyer, Volume 24 Issue 9, October 2020.
- The Resurgence of SPACs: Observations and Considerations,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, August 22, 2020.
- Representations and Warranties Insurance in Public M&A Deals,
in Practical Law, July 2020.
- Lessons from the Future - The First Contested Virtual Meeting,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, May 9, 2020.
- What to Say on Your Next Earnings Call in the Time of Covid-19: Providing Insights, Disclosing Scenarios and Managing Risks,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, April 23, 2020.
- Disclosure Issues Relating to Covid-19,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, March 31, 2020.
- Private Equity - Year in Review and 2020 Outlook,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, February 8, 2020.
- M&A and Private Equity Confidentiality Agreements: A Detailed Guide to Drafting and Negotiating,
Thomson Rueters, 2018.
- Mergers and Acquisitions - 2020,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 23, 2020.
- Expert Q&A on Health Care Mergers and Acquisitions,
in Practical Law, October/November 2019.
- Contingent Value Rights (CVRs),
in Practical Law, 2019.
- 2018 Private Equity Year In Review,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 17, 2019.