T. Eiko Stange
T. Eiko Stange is a member of the Tax Department at Wachtell, Lipton Rosen & Katz. He focuses on the tax aspects of U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, spin-offs and other dispositions, leveraged buy-outs, joint ventures and financing transactions. Mr. Stange has been the principal tax lawyer on numerous major domestic and cross-border transactions in a diverse spectrum of industries, including telecommunications, technology, pharmaceuticals, banking and financial services, media and entertainment, real estate and retail. Mr. Stange joined Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz in 2000 and became a partner in 2006.
His representations include:
- IAC/InterActiveCorp in the separation of Match Group from its remaining businesses
- eBay in the sale of StubHub to viagogo for $4.05 billion
- Broadcom in its $10.7 billion acquisition of Symantec’s Enterprise Security business
- United Technologies in its $147 billion merger of equals with Raytheon
- Newmont Mining in its $10 billion stock for stock acquisition of Goldcorp
- United Technologies in its pending separation into three independent public companies
- T-Mobile and Deutsche Telekom in the $146 billion combination of T-Mobile and Sprint
- United Technologies in its $30.3 billion acquisition of Rockwell Collins
- FMC Corporation in its acquisition of DuPont’s crop protection business in exchange for FMC’s Health and Nutrition business and cash
- eBay in its spin-off of PayPal
- Visa Inc. in its €21.2 billion acquisition of Visa Europe Ltd.
- XPO Logistics in its €3.24 billion acquisition of Norbert Dentressangle S.A.
- Walgreen Co. in its long-term partnership with Alliance Boots and AmerisourceBergen, its acquisition of a 45% stake in Alliance Boots and its later acquisition of the remaining 55%, for an aggregate value of $27 billion
- Dresser-Rand in its $7.6 billion sale to Siemens AG
- Forest Laboratories in its $25 billion acquisition by Actavis
- Verizon Communications in its $130 billion acquisition of Vodafone Group Plc’s 45% interest in Verizon Wireless
Mr. Stange received a J.D. equivalent from the Universität Hamburg, Germany in 1993, an LL.M. in corporation law from New York University School of Law in 1995 and an LL.M. in taxation from New York University School of Law in 1998.
Mr. Stange is a member of the Tax Sections of the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association. He is a native of Germany.
- Cross-Border M&A – 2022 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 22, 2022.
- Tax and ESG,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, February 22, 2020.
- Cross Border M&A - 2019 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 30, 2019.
- Cross-Border Acquisitions by REITs,
in REITs: Mergers and Acquisitions (Chapter 6A), Law Journal Seminars Press, 2018.
- What the New Tax Rules Mean for M&A,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 12, 2018.
- Cross-Border M&A -- 2018 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, January 10, 2018.
- Further Treasury Action to Limit "Inversions",
in Bank and Corporate Governance Law Reporter Interim Report, January 14, 2016.