Robin Panovka co-chairs Wachtell Lipton’s Real Estate and REIT M&A practices, which are consistently at the forefront of M&A and other major transactions in the REIT, private equity, real estate, hospitality and gaming industries. He also advises on activism defense, strategy, cross-border transactions, and large scale development projects, including the redevelopment of the World Trade Center and Little Island in Manhattan.
Representative matters can be found at Real Estate M&A Practice.
Robin has long been named one of the Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in the U.S., and is ranked as one of the leading M&A and REIT lawyers by Chambers, Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal and similar publications. He has been featured in a number of publications, including Lawdragon Magazine and American Lawyer, and is a recipient of New York University’s Urban Leadership Award.
He writes and lectures widely, including co-authoring “REITs: Mergers and Acquisitions,” a leading treatise published by Law Journal Press. He is co-chair of the NYU REIT Center and has served as an adjunct professor at Columbia Business and Law Schools and in NYU’s Masters in Real Estate Program. He is a founding director of the International Institute for the Study of Cross-Border M&A (XBMA), a joint venture among Peking University, Cambridge and NYU. He regularly chairs annual conferences for the NYU REIT Center, Practising Law Institute and XBMA. He is also active on a number of educational and non-profit boards, including the boards of Duke Law School and NYU’s Real Estate Institute; is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and the American College of Real Estate Lawyers; and is a member of the Economic Club of New York.
Robin was heavily involved in the redevelopment of the World Trade Center for more than a decade following its destruction on September 11, 2001 and played a hand in negotiating the master plan and “footprint swap” which paved the way to rebuilding, as chronicled in the Cornell Real Estate Review, American Lawyer Magazine and other publications.
- REITs: Mergers and Acquisitions,
Law Journal Press, updated through December 2021 (first published 2006).
- Rebuilding the World Trade Center,
in Cornell Real Estate Review Vol. 10, July 2012.
- Ground Zero Master Plans: The Commercial Imperative,
an online discussion between experts for future plans regarding the development of Ground Zero. Sponsored by The Skyscraper Museum, December 1, 2021.
- Cross-Border M&A – 2022 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 22, 2022.
- REIT M&A Strategy in 2022,
January 3, 2022.
- The Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review,
co-editor and co-author of U.S. chapter, Law Business Research, London, Sixth ed. 2021 (Fifth ed. 2020; Fourth ed. 2019; Third ed. 2018; Second ed. 2017; First ed. 2016).
- REITs in 2021,
January 11, 2021; also available at Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance.
- "New" IRS Guidance Provides Relief from Dividend Payment Requirement for REITs,
May 6, 2020.
- REITs and Covid-19: 15 Key Issues for Boards as They Chart the Course Forward,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, May 13, 2020.
- REIT M&A and Activism: Preparing for Threats in the Covid-19 Environment,
April 6, 2020.
- REIT M&A in 2020,
January 6, 2020.
- REIT M&A: Use and Overuse of Special Committees,
Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, February 20, 2019.
- Cross Border M&A - 2019 Checklist for Successful Acquisitions in the United States,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 30, 2019.
- REIT M&A in a Complex Market,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, June 23, 2018.
- Lawyer Limelight: Robin Panovka and Adam Emmerich,
in Lawdragon Magazine, January 7, 2018.
- REIT M&A, Governance and Activism - Themes for 2017,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 4, 2017.
- Taking REITs Private - The Playbook is Back in Play,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, October 21, 2015.
- REIT M&A: Much Since 2000, More Ahead,
in GlobeSt.com, August 31, 2015.
- M&A is 'Wave of the Industry' for REITs,
in GlobeSt.com, April 16, 2015.
- Only Death, Taxes and REITs Are Inevitable,
in Premises, Spring 2015.
- Am Law 100 Trio Advises on $2.6 Billion Senior Housing Buy,
in American Lawyer, June 2, 2014.
- Am Law Duo Put to Bed $1.3 Billion Hotel Venture,
in American Lawyer, May 13, 2014.
- Industry Observers Have Mixed Outlook on REIT M&A,
on REIT.com, January 17, 2013.
- Sixth Circuit Upholds Tortious Interference Verdict Against Auction Loser's Overbid,
in The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, July 2, 2011.
- Silverstein's Army,
in The American Lawyer, September 2007.
- REIT M&A Transactions-Peculiarities and Complications,
in The Business Lawyer, Volume 55 Number 2 (February 2000).